Get healthy from the inside out with these 10 foods for glowing skin.
A healthy skin reflects how healthy you are on the inside. So what can you do to get glowing skin? We all know we should eat healthy, exercise regularly, de-stress and of course, follow a regular skincare routine. “Your skin needs a boost from within to look fresh and glowing. After all, beautiful skin starts with nourishment from within. You need to eat the right balance of foods to feed your skin the vital nutrients it needs to help it stay soft, radiant and blemish-free”, remarks skincare expert Suparna Trikha.
Note: You are what you eat. Fruits and greens contain powerful antioxidants that help protect the skin from cellular damage caused by free radicals, so it’s important to get your 5 a day. Beta carotene, found in pumpkin, carrots and potatoes; and lutein found in kale, papaya and spinach are potent antioxidants, important for a healthy glow. Vitamin C is also a super antioxidant which leaves you with with radiant and blemish-free skin. So toss your favourite beauty product to the curb, and get naturally beautiful skin with our quick tips. Here’s a list of 10 foods for glowing skin which will make you feel beautiful like never before.
1. Avocado: Packed with antioxidants like lutein and beta carotene, avocados help soften the skin as well as hydrate it if applied topically. You can use a moisturising mask of avocado with 1 teaspoon honey to reap the benefits of this super fruit. You’ll feel the difference instantly! You can also check our interesting recipes to include avocado in your daily diet; perhaps, combine avocado with orange juice as a salad dressing or mix it up with cilantro and cumin for a dip or a sauce for a creamy portion of pasta.
2. Oranges: “The peel of the orange, actually contains more vitamin C than the orange itself. The peel contains antimicrobial and antibacterial properties so using it regularly in face packs will give you clear and brighter skin in no time. What’s in season will make your skin glow!”, says Dr. Deepali Bhardwaj, skincare expert. Dr. Deepali recommends a orange peel and yoghurt face pack to instantly rejuvenate your skin; all you need is 1 tablespoon of orange peel powder and 2 tablespoon of yoghurt to do the trick. You can also add 1 tablespoon of sandalwood powder and 1 tablespoon of walnut powder to 1 tablespoon of orange peel powder with a few drops of lemon juice and rose water to get bright skin.
3. Pumpkin:Pumpkins have it all – antioxidants, vitamins (A and C) and minerals. Pumpkins are rich in zinc which is vital in the creation of new skin cells, and also helps regulate oil production, improve skin tone and reduce the appearance of open pores. All you have to do is eat a handful of pumpkin seeds to brighten your complexion and get the glow you’ve always wanted. You can also apply a DIY face mask of 3 teaspoons pumpkin, ½ teaspoon honey and ½ teaspoon milk for 15-20 minutes.
4. Tomato: “Tomatoes are packed with natural vitamins and minerals, including Vitamin A, K, B1, B3, B5, B6, B7, and vitamin C”, says Dr. Manoj K. Ahuja, Sukhda Hospital. But what makes tomatoes stand out in the beauty world, is lycopene, an antioxidant which has amazing anti-ageing properties. You can apply the pulp or juice of tomatoes on your skin to activate the lycopene benefits. And if this couldn’t get any better, the pulp of tomatoes also helps tighten pores and prevent pimples since tomatoes are acidic in nature. It also acts as a natural sunscreen.
5. Strawberries: Being rich in alpha-hydroxyl acid, strawberries help get rid of dead skin cells. Strawberries also boost up collagen production, minimise fine line and wrinkles due to the presence of vitamin C. Also, omega-3 fatty acids present in strawberries help lighten the skin tone. Wondering how to reap the benefits of this wonder fruit? Add 1 tablespoon cocoa powder and 1 tablespoon honey to mashed strawberries and apply on your face for 15 minutes to get glowing skin.
6. Beetroot: This pink coloured fruit comes loaded with vitamins and minerals which make you glow instantaneously. Its anti-inflammatory property prevents outburst of acne and pimples. Just applying beetroot juice as a face mask gives your complexion a pinkish tinge and a radiant look. If you include beetroot as a part of your skincare routine, you’ll note that all the dark spots and blemishes will disappear in 5 weeks or so, especially due to the iron, potassium, niacin, copper and vitamin C content. You can also drink a glass of beetroot juice to purify the blood from within and cleanse the toxins, leaving you with a healthy glow on your face.
7. Carrots: Carrots are a powerhouse for glowing skin due to a large amount of beta carotene that helps prevent the degeneration of cells, slows aging and makes your skin glow. The vitamin A found in carrot juice also helps keep body tissue, eyes, bones and teeth healthy. Carrots also have a large amount of vitamin C, which promotes collagen growth, reduce acne and dark spots. Boost your beauty by slurping on a glass of carrot juice or add it to your salads.
8. Potato:Potato works as a natural bleaching agent and hence can be used for skin lightening. All you have to do is apply a face mask of grated potatoes on your face for around 30 minutes. Potato also helps get rid of dead skin cells, sunburns, dark spots, blemishes and dark circles. You can simply squeeze the juice of a potato in a bowl and use it on your face or apply thin slices of potato directly.
9. Kale:Kale may be the king of all greens, but it’s certainly the queen of beauty too. Kale is loaded with vitamin C, vitamin A and vitamin K which help repair skin tissues, prevent free radical damage and give you a radiant and fresh look. Drink up a kale smoothie or add it to salads or pasta or enjoy it as an air-cooked healthy snack in place of potato chips!
10. Lemons:Lemons are packed with vitamin C, vitamin B and phosphorous – an amazing food to make your skin glow. The natural acids of lemon gently remove dead skin cells and lighten age spots. Lemon cleans the pores without stripping the skin of its natural oil balance since it contains citric acid in high amounts. Mix a spoon of lemon juice with egg white and grape juice extract to make your skin smooth and glowing, or squeeze out just some fresh lemon juice and use it on the affected area to get flawless skin. We saved the best for last, indeed.